Occasional Visitor
SnowFlax
Accepted Solution

Can not either uninstall or update

Hi,

one day I saw a "X" in the Sophos icon. When I click on it a greyed text says: "AutoUpdate is not running".

I've tried to uninstall by running "/Library/Sophos\ Anti-Virus/Remove\ Sophos\ Anti-Virus.pkg", but there will be an error message saying: "com.apple.installer.pageconterller error -1". Could not open "Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg".

I've tried to download the latest version manually, but when I try to install it says that: "This product is already installed. Please remove the existing installation, and run the installer again."

I system messages i can read:

"

2012-12-19 16:32:42,986 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.sophos.autoupdate[95360]) Exited with code: 22
2012-12-19 16:32:42,986 com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.sophos.autoupdate) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

"

What can I do?

Occasional Visitor
SnowFlax

More information

I'm using OS X v10.8.2 and Sophos 8.0.9C

Occasional Visitor
SnowFlax

Solution

I solved the problem with some brute force. Searched for every file containing sophos, moved them to trash. Did a "sudo kill -9 [pid]" and then emptied the trash. To become sure that everything was removed I rebooted the computer, reinstalled Sophos (this time it did not complain) and then run the application "Sophos remove"

Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

Re: Solution

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my MacBook. What is the "sudo kill -9 [pid]" process that you referenced?