Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advisor
pixturesk
Accepted Solution

Can't Complete Update Error

This has been happening since yesterday. Sophos transfers the Virus Definitions Update to my computer but cannot complete the update, shows the same in the Log. How can I fix this? Please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks, Ken. There is also a white "X" in the Menubar icon.

sandy

Re: Can't Complete Update Error

I'm going to investigate to try to discover if there is an issue this end.

Sandy.

Communities Moderator, Sophos
Knowledgebase  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
If a post solves your question use the Accept as Solution button and award kudos.
Advisor
pixturesk

Forgot to mention that after the install got a message saying that "the install has some errors, please install again". A couple of new install attempts gave the same error but ran Sophos anyways, probably big mistake. Where are these errors coming from, having some menubar issues but that ought not to affect Sophos. I am going to try ClamXav, see if I get the same problems. Please make your reply easy to follow, I am not much of a techie. Thanks, Ken.

Advisor
pixturesk

ClamXav is working perfectly, virus definition updates, Sentry all working perfectly. Will just run it until you can solve my issue. I hope you can resolve my problem, just love using Sophos (check my reviews) especially the "on access" scanning, will check back regularly in the forum for your reply. Thanks again, Ken.

Advisor
pixturesk

I will click on the "Email me when someone replies" box. Ken.

Employee
Marf

Hi pixturesk,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Sophos Anti-Virus on the Mac. The first thing we need to do is to check why the installation is completing with errors and what these errors are.

Please can you reinstall Sophos to the machine and create an install log:

1. Double click on the Sophos package

2. Once the installer is open click on 'Window' in the menu bar

3. Select 'Installer Log'

4. A new window will open, on the left hand side select 'Show All Logs'

5. Continue with the process of the Installation

6. Before you click close on the installer save the file to the desktop by selecting 'Save' on the right hand side of the window and select save to desktop. Give the file an appropriate name 'SAVInstalllog'.

7. Open the install log and search for any errors.

If you find errors please post them so we can take a look to see what is happening. If the installation completes without error does the update succeed?

Thanks

Marf

Advisor
pixturesk

Thanks Marf. I am temporarily using ClamXav while I am having this Sophos problem. Can I install Sophos without removing ClamXav (such a hassle!!)? This inability to complete the update seems to have arisen after the Jan 3/2011 major update of Sophos. Prior to that Sophos installs + ran perfectly. Ken.

Employee
Marf

HI pixturesk,

You would need to uninstall ClamXav first in order to install Sophos. Since the major update this is the first report ive seen reporting this issue, the initial problem may have been a corrupt file in the updating cache, which then caused the original problem you experienced.

Thanks

Marf

Advisor
pixturesk

Hi Marf. First of all, others were having the same problem, I think in some of the other messages. Anyways I installed Sophos without removing ClamXav "Perfect Install, no errors", then I try the "Update Now", pefect update of Jan 03/2011 major update, click on "Update Now" a couple of more times, tells methat "Sophos Anti Virus is up to date". Sophos icon is in the menubar. Then completely uninstall ClamXav. Try the Sophos "update Now" again a couple of times, works perfectly. By the way, no errors in the install log, "software installs successfully". Because others were having this problem, perhaps someone at Sophos must have fixed the problem, see what the others say. Am going to reboot my Mac, see if everything is working. Got to go out so I can't run the initial scan will run that when I get in. Great to have Sophos back. Will report if there are any further problems. Ken.

Advisor
pixturesk

Hi Marf. Sophos loads perfectly again when I boot up my computer. Update works perfectly, this time a 234kb file, am about to run the scan of all my files. Sophos is working better than ever. Ken.