Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Visitor
MacUserKT
Accepted Solution

Excessive CPU usage from InterCheck when Sophos fails to update

The problem I am reporting here happens when I use my MacBook Air disconnected from the internet.

When I use my MacBook Air disconnected from the internet, and therefore Sophos can't update, the InterCheck process keeps popping up in Activity Monitor and using nearly 100% of CPU time. As soon as the Mac is connected to the internet and the update succeeds, the problem disappears. As a confirmation of this, I disabled the auto-update feature (unchecking the "update every...hours") and this solves the problem: InterCheck simply doesn't come up anymore. Thus, disabling the auto-update and updating manually when the computer is connected to the internet is a workaround. Still this is quite annoying.

It is important to stress that this problem has emerged only recently. I have been using the Mac disconnected from the internet very often over the past two years, and this problem didn't happen until recently. I haven't installed any new software recently.

Any suggestion?

Employee
Agile

Re: Excessive CPU usage from InterCheck when Sophos fails to update

Try disabling Live Protection -- does this fix the problem?

This one is a good place to start looking, as it requires an internet connection to perform live lookups as the on-access scanner does its work.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Occasional Visitor
MacUserKT

Disabling Live Protection appears to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
AJMAC25

Ok  Sophos, this problem has been discussed here for over a year, Time to fix this.

Even with Live Scanning off, my CPU jumps to 95%.

If I turn off "On-Access Scanner" all goes away. But that is not acceptable.

Fix it or time to find a new virus protection package.