Occasional Visitor
telecat

Re: Intercheck maxes out my CPUs

Is here a way to disable intercheck completely? I want to completely disable. Otherwise, I'll have to dump sophos altogether.

This situation SUCKS. You have done a poor job with this.

JMH
Occasional Visitor
JMH

My early 2011 MacBook Pro was running the fan almost constantly with CPU temperature of 192:smileymad:.  Yes, almost twice as hot as Arizona is in June. I was getting about two hours of battery life until I opened up Activity Monitor and noted that Intercheck was using 75% of the capacity and memory of my CPU.  Per this thread I disabled the archive feature and within the seonds the fan shut off and the temperature glided down to a chilly 122.:smileyhappy:  Thanks to all who gave help on this thread.  I was ready to yank out my after-market RAM.  Nice to have a simple solution.  Oh, for what it's worth, I'm running OS 10.7.4.

Occasional Advisor
vbuster

Running osx 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).  2.2 Ghz i7, 8G 1333Mhz DDR3 ram, SSDD.

I noticed that accessing anything that needs to fire up and run Java is slow and the Intercheck process go's crazy.  This happens with Safari or FF and can hang the browser, epically FF!  I have found a simple way to test this.  Open up a terminal window and type the command java -version.  Your laptop will take off and you will not receive the java version back for some time!  Not every time you enter the command do you see the delay but most times.  I use a virtual classroom to teach which uses Java to launch the client.  This is the link to test your system and this will get your fans running.  

http://mt209.centra.com/main/SystemCheck/LaunchSystemCheck.jhtml

I wish we had the visibility in Sophos to see the file that it is scanning.

I have a new (4 or 5 month old) MB Pro with 8G 133Mhz Ram and a SSDD so no latency issues accessing files here so please do not comment about it does not hurt the CPU when it comes up to 200% and gets hot etc, etc.  For some reason intercheck is working overtime on Java files and this cannot be correct.

Intercheck is the ONLY process that gets my system hot under the collar.

Hopefully you find a resolution soon.  

Thanks

BTW I have to fire up fusion and run XP to teach my classes.  I hate windows so that is how bad this is getting.

Occasional Advisor
vbuster

I have proved that it is sophos that is getting hung up on the Java files.  

I did a fresh boot.  If I stop the on access scanning I can launch the link I sent in my previous post in seconds.  Also no problem with the terminal java -version command!  Start scanning again launch the link and CPU time up to 100%, heat, therefore fan ramp up.

If you have any help please let me know.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
countryman

[ Edited ]

Would this issue explain why Intercheck kicks in when I am using Fission to convert an AIFF audio file to MP3?  If so is there a setting in Sophos I can change to stop this?

Occasional Visitor
jcpinto

I have the same problem with Mac OS X 10.7.5. Only started appearing when I upgraded to 10.7.5 from 10.7.4. Seems to have stopped crashing now that I have disabled "Scan Inside Archives and Compressed Files" but it took me many late nights to finally land on this page and get your suggestions. Thanks all my Mac is now usable again.

Occasional Visitor
sigtool

I was getting this too on Snow Leopard. Seems to be due to recent Sophos updates not OSX.

After looking through the suggestions above I excluded a portable USB hard drive from scanning. That is used to backup files - and many of them are jars so compressed and also changing often as I rebuild them. Excluding the USB drive seems to have fixed the problem.

Frequent Collector
Raselas

InterCheck CPU memory problem SOLVED!!

Super Kudos to Andrew for suggesting...

You could also try changing your DNS server (alternate ISP server, Google DNS, OpenDNS, etc.)

to see if that improves the response times.

(http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Excessive-CPU-Memory-from-Intercheck-A...

Sophos InterCheck was hogging CPU on my early 2009 iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 8 GB, OS X 10.8.2), and causing slow scans, unresponsive web pages, and beach balls.

Took Andrew's suggestion.  

Went to Apple support forum at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2296 and found this KB article: "Non-responsive DNS server or invalid DNS configuration can cause long delay before webpages load."

This reminded me that I have had a problem with slow webpage loading in Safari ever since I bought the iMac, almost exactly four years ago this month of March 2013.  Safari progress bar would start and hang interminably.  I spent HOURS on the phone with AppleCare, and even took the iMac 100 miles to an Apple Store where a genius took it down to "bare metal" and restored it from the ground up.  Brought it home and the same problem persisted.  So I gave up on Safari and just used Chrome.  But now the InterCheck CPU hog was overwhelming Chrome as well.

Key sentence in KB article under How to Resolve:  Check with your network administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP) to make sure your DNS information is correct.

Called my ISP and got TWO new DNS numbers as suggested in the KB article and placed them in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS.

Restart.  And Voila!

Sophos Intercheck now utilizes .1 to .2 percent of CPU.  Scans run quickly, and don't appreciably raise InterCheck CPU utilization.  No more beach balls.  Lots and lots of free memory.

Safari pages load like lightning.

Four year old mystery problem solved.

Thanks, Andrew.  Kudos.