Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Visitor
sleepy

Re: Macbook Air with Lion freezes during Time Machine backup...

When i disabled on-access scan on my TM directory, it did not solve the issue.

I have disabled on access scan completly, then the problem resolved.

I think the problem was not scanning the TM backup but preventing the TM from taking backups of other files because its process need to by scanned each time it access a file for backup.

Best Regards

Advisor
NHobbs

I have the exact same issue with my MBP, it is a 2008 Unibody with 4GB of RAM and thatI have recently upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2.

I have noticed that every second Sunday evening, when I'm surfing the web, Sophos is running a Time Machine backup starts the whole laptop will freeze requiring me to power off the latop.  When it comes back up, I look through the Hang logs for Firefox within the Console utility and see that Sophos is listed near the bottom of the log.

This isn't really acceptable, as I have used various Sophos products in very large corporate environments (around 2000+ seats) and never had an issue before.

I will have a look at excluding the external backup drives from the On-Access Scanner's configuration and see how things go.

Can I ask when the developers expect to resolve this issue and release the fixed application?

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards

Advisor
floridabrits

I've got feedback from Dev: There is a known issue they are tracking against DEF73069;

due to the location of the fix, it's targeted for the 8.0 release, which is due out sometime next calendar year. 

The current workaround is to exclude the path to your time machine backup.

Still doesn't answer why it only hits some setups, but at least it'll be fixed.

-
Andrew
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SNIP

Advisor
NHobbs

Thanks for the re-post, its not really an answer to my question...  I would appreciate a little more information, as I use my machine every day for business critical activities

It is strange as its only some configurations, as my configuration is a MBP that started off as 10.5, got upgraded to 10.6 and now 10.7.2.  You are welcome to logs from my machine to assist with the understanding of the issue (I just need to know where to send them).

I thought it was an issue with a Firefox plugin, so removed them and then moved to using Safari but would like to go to using Firefox.

I will update my configuration and see how it works.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
eeiciap

Hello, I have excluded the usual Volumes: Time Machine Backups and the wireless Airport Extreme drive it is on. I haven't been able to find Volumes/Mobile Backups while backing up with Time Machine, even with hidden files shown. My computer is still crashing. Any ideas? I am using a MacBook Pro on Lion.
Employee
Agile

I believe you also have to exclude /.MobileBackups/ which is the actual path to the backup folder. /Volumes/MobileBackups/ is actually an NFS share of the other folder.
-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Occasional Visitor
DanIngold

Before doing this I had to look up how to "show hidden files" in the Sophos dialog box, and so thought to document this for future readers. When the dialog box opens after clicking the "+" to exclude a file, type "Cmd-Shift-." (that's a period), which allows you to see and exclude the files mentioned here.  Typing the key sequence again toggles this mode back off.  

Advisor
floridabrits

Hi Andrew... just wondering if you heard back from Dev yet as to when the 8.0 release is targeted for and if DEF73069 will be included in that release?

Thanks!

Employee
Agile

DEF73069 has been marked as fixed for the next release, but I can't say any more than that at this time.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Advisor
floridabrits

Andrew... I see v8 is now available... Can you please confirm that DEF73069 made it to v8, so when I install it I can remove the workaround?

Many thanks!

/g