Super Advisor
grahamperrin

removal/uninstallation: /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  See this post to remove version 8/9

spike wrote:

1. Find the folder /Applications and double-click Sophos Remove

anathelion wrote:
… applications folder there are no sophos files anymore so I could not find the remove sophos …

1. Finder
  2. Go menu
  3. Go to Folder…
  4. /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus
  5. Remove Sophos Anti-Virus
Other articles of interest (maybe not all relating to the 7.2.1C Home Edition of Sophos Anti-Virus): 
Occasional Visitor
Hoops

Re: removal/uninstallation: /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

HI,

I am trying to uninstall an old version of Sophos. It is not in my Library but in applications.  And there is no 'remove Sophos' as an option anywhere.  The only thing I can do is put into the trash - and that is not uninstalling it.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can uninstall in order to update with the new version (which wont work until have uninstalled the old one)?

Thanks

Employee
Agile

Re: removal/uninstallation: /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg

If you're running SAV 4, please follow the instructions posted multiple times on this board to install SAV 7 SBE (option 2), and then run the uninstaller it installs in the Library folder.

Also, if you're running a SAV that is not the Home Edition, you can probably contact Customer Support for more personal help.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

sandy

Visitor
lindarose

I have removed everything I can find in library again and again but it keeps popping up. How can I really get these remnants fo my pc? It makes it impossible to reinstall a new, complete version. 4 files are coming back ui.list and lockfile among them. Anyone knows how this is attacked?

Employee
Agile

Do not manually remove components of SAV; run the uninstaller.  For those who insist on doing it manually, that process is already fully documented on here (I believe it's even in this thread).  However, one mistake in doing it manually and you won't be able to use your Mac anymore without someone doing some pretty extensive OS repair or reinstallation for you.

All you need to do to install a new, complete version of SAV HE is to run the installer.  If the installer complains that the enterprise version is already installed, then your issue is not with SAV HE, but with the enterprise version; you need to install THAT version, as documented in this thread.

All you need to do to update either version of SAV for Mac is to not disable the update system -- the software will update to new versions as they become available, as documented on here and in the software documentation itself.

If you want to switch from one product to the other, you have to run the uninstaller for the one product prior to running the installer for the other.

Please use the board search feature to search this rather long thread for the detailed instructions for the various scenarios.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

Visitor
lindarose

I have installed the business version, for standalone mac, but there is no uninstall program or even folder for sophos to be found in the library

Employee
Agile

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Can-t-update-won-t-uninstall/m-p/2353#...

Further instructions:

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Can-t-uninstall-an-quot-incompatible-q...

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

Occasional Visitor
EASR

Thank-you very much. It worked as described and I am grateful for the help.

EASR

Occasional Visitor
hustle7

Re: Removing Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

Here's how to properly remove Sophos Antivirus from your mac.

Step 1: Open Finder

Step 2: Click on (your) "Macintosh HD"

Step 3: Double-click on "Library" folder

Step 4: Double-click on "Sophos Anti-Virus" folder

Step 5: Double-click on "Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg" and follow instructions. 

Sophos Anti-Virus software should be completely removed now.

I hope you find this helpful.