Community Manager
spike
Accepted Solution

Removing Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

[ Edited ]

UPDATE: For Version 9 see this post: Remove (uninstall) Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition (the free version)

What to do

1. Find the folder /Applications and double-click Sophos Remove.
  2. In the confirmation dialog, click Remove Sophos Anti-Virus .
  3. In the user account dialog, type an administrator name and password. Click OK.

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition is now removed from your Mac.

SophosFreeTalk community manager
Sophos, Abingdon, UK

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Frequent Advisor
Chogidog

Re: Removing Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

Thank you for the remover. Your scanner froze my Macbook Pro twice, 2 attempts at system scans. Both caused my laptop to freeze up. 

At least the remover worked well.

Occasional Visitor
Phacetious

I find it interesting that you did not have a good experience with the scanner. Right now I have it scanning both my MacBook and my Mac Mini. My Mac Mini has only 1Gb of RAM, so you know how slow that can get, yet it is chugging along and doing it as we speak.

I will advise you on what if anything transpires.

Frequent Advisor
Chogidog

I actually re-installed it after being asked by a staff member here to try a scan on a single folder and see if anything happened. It was a small 28mb picture folder and it scanned fast with no issues. When I scanned a larger 40+gb folder with dmg's it took 2hours to scan that folder and brought the temp of my mbp up to 208* F. I've got a 500gb HD, so at 2 hours for 41gb I'm looking at a 20 hour scan for my entire drive.

I would be interested though to hear how others make out with full system scans.

rda
Visitor
rda

I just ran Sophos on a 24" iMac with 9 external HD's attached totalling over 15 GB;s, a MacBook Pro and and a 21" iMac, and additionally, all had Time Machine volumes. The scans ran perfectly over a day and a night. Not a blip. I'm on the latest versions of Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Occasional Visitor
jayww35

How do you control what SAV actually scans?  Like a particular folder or drive?

Occasional Visitor
gtainton

I tried a system scan twice too. Froze after a short time on both attempts. I've now uninstalled the app. 

Occasional Visitor
nevrozel

I have done a full system scan with more than 1,500,000 files. It took several hours and found 2 windows trojans in some .zip with pictures. But I am still amazed at how few RAM and CPU cycles it consumes. I can barely notice it.

Great job!

Frequent Visitor
Fotomann

I regularly check all my external drives and, so far, I have had no problems with Sophos; not even signs of my MacBook slowing in any way. So after reading about the problems that other were having I decided to run concurrent custom scans on all the drives, including scanning archives. As I type this Sophos is quite happily scanning (yet again) my system drive (250GB), two storage drives of 500GB each, a 250GB archive drive, and a 1TB (mirrored raid) backup drive; apart from the noise of drive activity I don't even notice the scans running, and when I checked just now Sophos is using a total of 92.9mb of my 4GB system RAM - how little is that! For my mind an excellent AV application - thank-you SophosLabs. :smileyvery-happy:

Oh, and before some cynic suggests it, I don't now or have ever worked for Sophos!

Visitor
anathelion

I have tried to install sophos anti-virus home edition and get this message:

Another version of Sophos anti-virus software, which is not compatible with this version, is already installed. You must remove that version before attempting installation again.

I have deleted the previous version of sophos and I still get the same message. In my applications folder there are no sophos files anymore so I could not find the remove sophos files as you have recommended. Please advise on how to proceed

Thanks

Ana