Occasional Visitor
THISISSOANNOYIN

Re: Removing Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition

I have the free downloaded version of Sopho's home edition. It is interferring with my computer and I want it removed.

There is no "uninstall" button. I search for it, and there is only the install option. I found it in my applications, and I trashed it. I deleted my trash. It is still on my computer.  I want it off of my computer. 

This is usually, in my experience, all you need to do. I thought things like this came with an uninstall package. If all else fails, I thought completely trashing it's contents would do the trick. Obviously, I am a moron. And now I have to register for this site so that I can get your product off of my computer.

Now. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Because the first posts instructions are not helpful/ no longer apply to this addtion.

Employee
Agile

In your /Applications/ folder, you will find "Sophos Remove.app" (unless you deleted it).  You need to run this to uninstall the background processes, as they don't run in userland.  No need to register (although now you have) -- searching this forum will both tell you how to remove it and also how to fix the issues you are having with it interfering with your computer.

Also note that version 8 was released today, and fixes a number of issues reported by customers.

If you deleted the uninstaller, downloading and installing version 8 should both fix your problems and re-install the uninstaller (so you can remove SAV completely).

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Advisor
Mukmu

Does the Autoupdate tool update version 7.3 to version 8? I tried to update through the tool but it didn't change it to version 8. Also, what is new with version 8?
Advisor
Mukmu

A better question would be if the autoupdate feature will instantly update to version 8 or if the computer is idle or if it takes a few days for the autoupdate tool.
Employee
Agile

These questions are not really related to this thread.  I've answered them in your other thread: http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/Version-8-Questions/td-p/5749/

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

sandy

ruckus

UPDATE:  See this post to remove version 8/9

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
Knowledgebase  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
If a post solves your question use the Accept as Solution button and award kudos.