m2m_llc

SPYWARE

I use Sophos Anti-Virus on my Macbook Pro. Do I need additional protection for Spyware?

Employee
Agile

Re: SPYWARE

Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac currently only detects items that are to some degree malicious.  This includes most spyware and some software cracks and key generators, but does not at this date include adware, commercial keyloggers and monitoring software, remote access tools, hacking tools, or other software that does not harm your computer, but may be undesirable.  However, the core detection engine does handle these as well, and you can expect to see support for these in a future release of the Home Edition product.

I hope that answers your question.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

m2m_llc

In the 'Scan Local Drive' window for 'Custom Scan' there appears an 'untiled No items in scan. This scan has never been run' mesage. What is this and do I need to set anything here?

Employee
Agile

This means you've pressed the + button to add a custom scan, but haven't indicated what you want the custom scan to scan.  It also says you've never run the scan (and since there are no items added to the custom scan, running it would be impossible).

You can either add some files, set the kind of scan you want, and optionally set a schedule on which you want it to run, or click the - to remove the scan from the custom scan list.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

m2m_llc

Sophos is set to 'scan all files and folders on this Mac'. Need I do more?

Also, is my Sophus scheduled to scan automatically daily?

Employee
Agile

I have already answered your question as you posted it in another thread:

http://openforum.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Anti-Virus-for-Mac-Home/settings/m-p/7001

You also may want to use the built-in help in the application, or search on these forums, for more information about on-access and on-demand scanning.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

m2m_llc

SYSTEM FAILURE

It appears that Sophus is not working. My log says 'unable to initialise virus detection' and 'Sophus Anti-Virus cannot continue'.

Also, The 'On-Access Scanning is off' and indicates My Mac may not be secure'. Log shows my last scan was 4 days ago.

Please advise.