Occasional Visitor
1mythsmith1
Accepted Solution

Set up email scan

I want to set up a custom email scan.  I'm using OS X 10.7.5.  The email is now located in a hidden directory (Library.)  The only way to get to it is to use "go" from the Finder with the option key held down in the main USER directory.  That adds library to the drop down list.  

When I tried to set up the scan, click the + add button and Library directory does not show.  

I tried searching for mail from there, but only file names are searched for.  I tried typing the path there.

So how do I set up search to /User/username/Library/mail  when it does not show?

Occasional Advisor
ASGR

Re: Set up email scan

[ Edited ]

Hey.

You'll have to go into Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and type...

chflags nohidden ~/Library

This will make the Library directory visible like it was before. You

can then type the above but use 'hidden' instead of 'nohidden' to

return it back to normal.

Unfortunately, I can't say if Sophos Free if rigged up to scan mail files.

I've tested Avast on the same Mail files and it bought up a whole load

more viruses than Sophos did (zero finds)!

Occasional Visitor
1mythsmith1

Re: Set up email scan

[ Edited ]

If I hadn't found another way that makes sense.  Have to confess to having lost any UNIX skills I once had and even then I knew DOS far better.

Using GO from the Finder menu with the option key held down, lets me "go" to my user library.  Once there browse to what ever file/folder I want setup and drag and drop onto Sophos input page.  Voila.

Re: whether Free version will scan or not, the big thing I wanted scanned was attachements and they are located in  /Users/username/Library/Mail Downloads.  These files are exactly what you'd as attachements (PDF JPG EML GIF ZIP ...   and where I'd incoming email viruses.

Thx for your efforts.