Advisor
Rebel

Re: Sophos 8.0.1c stalled?

BUMP

Still waiting for Sophos to let me know which version it was that I downloaded 2 days ago. :smileyfrustrated:

Advisor
Rebel

Re: Sophos 8.0.1c stalled?

[ Edited ]

Looks like I'm the newest member of this abject club.

After reading many reviews and comments regarding ClamXav vs Sophos, I downloaded and installed Sophos Home Edition 8.0.1C
a few hours ago. At this time, all I can say is that Sophos seems to really suck! :smileymad:

I expected the installer to tell me I'd have to restart, but it didn't, which would have been fine, but...
The installer said you can tell when Sophos is running by the black badge in the menubar, but it never showed up, even though Sophos was running.
I decided to restart, and after rebooting and starting Sophos, the badge finally appeared.

I went through the preferences and pretty much left them in the default settings. I started scanning local volumes, and was surprised to see 6.5 million files to scan. :smileysurprised:  I realized it was going to scan every drive I had connected, which included my Time Machine drive. After several minutes it seemed as if it had stalled, so I pressed the Stop Scan button, but nothing happened.
Tried again - nothing. Waited 30 seconds and tried again - nothing. Thought I was going to have to force quit, but when I clicked the Dock icon, I selected Quit, and it quit.
I disconnected all my external drives and started scanning again, only 904,895 files this time. After exactly 30 minutes, it was stuck on 902,789, so I tried to stop scanning again - nothing. Tried again - nothing. Quit from the Dock, and it closed. Thought perhaps it was having trouble scanning my SSD for some reason. Decided I better go see if other users were having this trouble, and ended up here, and it seems to be a bug or just lousy software. :smileyfrustrated:

I was also surprised to find Sophos only using 4% of the CPU while scanning, and the temperature not rising at all. Guess that's because Sophos wasn't really doing anything!

Sophos was supposed to be the better of the two, but I have serious doubts now. Glad I'm not an Enterprise user!

BTW, the badge in the menubar is not really black, it's actually gray with a black outline. A black badge should be black.

Now the volume icon, that is black!