Established Member
csdibiase

Time Machine compatibility - error when time capsule is unavailable

Using Sophos for Home 8 I've noticed an interesting and annoying behavior.

I have installed Sophos 8.0.1C on a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro running 10.7.3. Prior to installing Sophos, when connected to my home network, Time Machine would successfully backup to the AFP server I have running on my home network. When offline or on other networks, Time Machine would silently delay the backup and use local disk space for temporary local snapshots per the mobile backups feature.

about my macbook proabout Sophos

Time machine backups still work when on my home network with Sophos installed, however when I am offline or on another network time machine is no longer silent about its inability to access the AFP server. Periodically the error "There was a problem connecting to the server "firewall". ... will pop up, steal focus and otherwise make itself annoying. It seems to occur at the normal Time Machine backup interval. The error stops appearing if Time Machine is disabled or if Sophos is removed.

Time machine error

(in my case, firewall is the name of the AFP server acting as a backup store. For the curious it's a Linksys E3000 running a variant of TomatoUSB with a Seagate FreeAgent Go and optware)

I've already tried adding exclusions to the on access scanner for /Volumes/TimeMachine (share name on the AFP server) /Volumes/MobileBackups and /Volumes/Backup Drive/ but I've not tried disabling the on access scanner. Is there anything else that can be done to fix this issue? Disabling automatic time machine backups is not acceptable and I'd rather not remove Sophos of disable the on access scanner.

Interestingly enough this wasn't an issue with Sophos 7, which I've run on this machine until a few weeks ago when I noticed the upgrade. I could always downgrade but without a fix to the current product version, eventually I'd have the same problem again.

Frequent Visitor
Jonukas

Re: Time Machine compatibility - error when time capsule is unavailable

Same exact issue here. It all started after installing version 8.

Visitor
jayla

Have had major issues with Sophos/TM. Before it was determined that Sphos was causing the issues, the laptop went to Apple for diagnostics/repair to the tune of $400!!!  The problems began with just TM, but the longer it went on the more unstable the machine became...it was a nightmare.  The machine would just freeze up entirely.  I would love to be able to use this software, but currently have uninstalled it.  I need reliable back-up, and a stable machine.  My spouse was experiencing the same issues, and switched to another (paid) optin for back-up.  That is not an option for me currently.  Hope this issue is resolved soon.

Employee
Agile

jayla wrote:

Have had major issues with Sophos/TM. Before it was determined that Sphos was causing the issues, the laptop went to Apple for diagnostics/repair to the tune of $400!!!  The problems began with just TM, but the longer it went on the more unstable the machine became...it was a nightmare.  The machine would just freeze up entirely.  I would love to be able to use this software, but currently have uninstalled it.  I need reliable back-up, and a stable machine.  My spouse was experiencing the same issues, and switched to another (paid) optin for back-up.  That is not an option for me currently.  Hope this issue is resolved soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your extremely frustrating experience.  This issue should be fixable via configuration; did you try excluding your backup volume from on-access scanning?

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Frequent Visitor
bigheadjer

Agile wrote:

jayla wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your extremely frustrating experience.  This issue should be fixable via configuration; did you try excluding your backup volume from on-access scanning?

I have tried adding the network volume to Excluded Items, I have tried turning on and off Network drive scanning, and the error message still occurs each time Time Machine tries to look for the network volume and it is not there.  I have not tried it with my other portable USB backup drive.

Established Member
csdibiase

Not in the habit of bumping threads, but I was somewhat hoping for a response from someone at Sophos. Is there a different channel to reach out to them for help with their free products? 

Occasional Visitor
smillendorf

I have the same problem... I'm uninstalling.  Too bad, this was a good product in version 7.  Version 8 seems not ready for prime time.  

Frequent Visitor
bigheadjer

Yep, Sophos auto-upgraded to 8 over the weekend and I have the exact same problem.  Anyone know how to downgrade to 7?

Visitor
monsoonsummer

I've also been experiencing the same annoying problem since upgrading to 8.  When are they going to fix it, or at least give us a workaround?  Certainly, it can't be that difficult for them to fix it.

Occasional Advisor
cj

Yes, same problem for me. In fact Sophos has been the cause of a whole bunch of issues that I've wasted hours troubleshooting:

- Install of JAVA apps e.g. SPSS (Sophos Anti-virus  causes the install to fail and hang - took me hours to work it out)

- Macbooks failing to boot up fully and hanging when trying to load into the desktop

- Now TM errors with Timecapsule.

Great spot that Sophos 8 was the issue csdibiase - thanks for posting.