Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

Uninstall Question

I have the Sophos Home Edition for my MacBook Pro - running Mountain Lion. There wasn't an uninstall package in the home folder so I ended up deleting all the files associated with Sophos. However, the Sophos program is still running in my menu bar and keeps restarting when I quit the process in Activity Monitor.

I've tried redownloading the program but when the installer starts it says that I already have this program on my computer. I can't find any other files to remove, and the installer package won't let me install.

What other options do I have? Please help!

TIA!

Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

Re: Uninstall Question

Any ideas?

Advisor
mikebore

kentjohnson4 wrote:

I have the Sophos Home Edition for my MacBook Pro - running Mountain Lion. There wasn't an uninstall package in the home folder so I ended up deleting all the files associated with Sophos. However, the Sophos program is still running in my menu bar and keeps restarting when I quit the process in Activity Monitor.

I've tried redownloading the program but when the installer starts it says that I already have this program on my computer. I can't find any other files to remove, and the installer package won't let me install.

What other options do I have? Please help!

TIA!

Assuming you still need help....When you install Sophos it installs a separate app in the Applications folder caller "Sophos Remove"

I suggest you reinstall Sophos then run Sophos Remove.

Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

That's the problem. I can't install a new version b/c it says I already have that version..and then it quits the installer.

Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

Ok. i was able to install a version on my mac - I don't see an "uninstall" file anywhere.

Advisor
mikebore

kentjohnson4 wrote:

Ok. i was able to install a version on my mac - I don't see an "uninstall" file anywhere.

It is not called "uninstall", it is a separate app in the apps folder immediatley undeneath the "Sophos Anti-virus" called "Sophos Remove".

Occasional Advisor
kentjohnson4

I appreciate your help and patience with me -- but it isn't located in the applications folder and I can't find that application when I search for it through spotlight.

Advisor
mikebore

[ Edited ]

kentjohnson4 wrote:

I appreciate your help and patience with me -- but it isn't located in the applications folder and I can't find that application when I search for it through spotlight.

Very Strange. I wish I could post a screenshot but this forum doesn't seem to allow.

In your shoes the steps I would follow are:

Make sure your backup is up to date.

Stop live scanning from with Sophos.

Open Activity Monitor and stop all Sophos named processes and "Intercheck"

Next task is find all the Sophos related files, including the invisible ones and delete them. You can do this with Spotlight but you ave to make sure you go through the somewhat contorted process of making sure you find "System files" and "invisible files" (may not strictly be necessary to include System files).......or you can spend a few £ and buy the excellent app from the App Store called "Find Any File" which makes ths a doddle. 

Using "Find Any File" hold down the alt key while clicking search.

Delete all the Sophos files it finds. may be asked for password.

Also search for "intercheck" and delete them.

Restart.

PS Just seen you are using the Home Edition...is that same as the free one for Mac?...if not may explain why no "Remove Sophos" app. The steps I have given should still apply but there maybe another way of uninstalling the Home edition I am not aware of.

Occasional Advisor
BDMSTUDIOS

How do I uninstall Sophos in Mac OS X?

Answer ID 879   |    Published 06/06/2008 04:38 PM   |    Updated 11/07/2012 11:44 AM
Sophos Version 4.x 
  1. Click on the Mac Hard Drive icon on your desktop
  2. Navigate to Library > Application Support > Sophos Anti-Virus
  3. Double-click to Remove Sophos Anti-Virus .pkg run the Sophos uninstaller

Sophos Version 7 - 8.x 
  2. Navigate to Library > Sophos Anti-Virus

Other Versions of Sophos

If you are trying to find uninstall instructions for Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, please contact Sophos support for assistance:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/contact-support.aspx

If you obtained Sophos from another institution please contact them directly for assistance.

Advisor
mikebore

BDMSTUDIOS wrote:
How do I uninstall Sophos in Mac OS X?

Answer ID 879   |    Published 06/06/2008 04:38 PM   |    Updated 11/07/2012 11:44 AM
Sophos Version 4.x 
  2. Navigate to Library > Application Support > Sophos Anti-Virus

Sophos Version 7 - 8.x 
  2. Navigate to Library > Sophos Anti-Virus

Other Versions of Sophos

If you are trying to find uninstall instructions for Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, please contact Sophos support for assistance:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/contact-support.aspx

If you obtained Sophos from another institution please contact them directly for assistance.

Very Interesting!...no mention of the app "Sophos Remove" which was installed in my apps folder when I put Sophos on.