Regular Visitor
timb0land
Accepted Solution

Update issue

I'm running Sophos version 8.0.6C on my iMac which is running 10.8.2. Whenever the Sophos auto updater runs it closes Sophos down after the download is complete including when in the middle of a scan. I have not been able to run a full scan since I upgraded to Mountain Lion about a month ago and have to restart Sophos pretty much every hour if I remember. It's pretty frustrating and doesn't offer me complete protection. I've tried uninstalling Sophos and reinstalling it but to no avail. Can anyone offer a solution to this problem please?

Advisor
pennbank

Re: Update issue

Have you read this thread, It shows some locations where sophos files may be located on your mac to remove, then try re installing a free home edition

http://community.sophos.com/t5/Sophos-Endpoint-Protection/Uninstall-from-Mac/td-p/17653

Employee
Agile

Sophos installs an update about every four hours, at which point it closes down the currently running processes and re-launches with the new detection set.  This shouldn't result in scheduled or manual scans being terminated, but from what you're saying, it's doing so for you.

To run a full scan, go into Preferences and disable automatic updating.  Then run your scan, and see if it completes correctly.  It's possible your problem is actually the one where the Sophos scanner UI unexpectedly quits in the middle of a scan (this usually seems to be related to archives or removable media).  If the scan still unexpectedly ends after an hour with autoupdates turned off, then you have the other issue, which has a dedicated thread (or two) on this forum, including suggestions for how to cause it to stop happening.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Regular Visitor
timb0land

Thanks for commenting on my post and for the advice given so far. However, the actual issue is not that the scan is interrupted during an update but that the whole application quits after an update. It downloads the updates sucessfully but it does not relaunch when this process is complete. I can live with disabling the auto updater to run scans but it kind of defeats the object if the application quits after updating. The problem is that the application won't relaunch automatically after it has been updated,  I have to relaunch it manually.

Any additionl thought gratefully received.

Employee
Agile

timb0land wrote:

Thanks for commenting on my post and for the advice given so far. However, the actual issue is not that the scan is interrupted during an update but that the whole application quits after an update. It downloads the updates sucessfully but it does not relaunch when this process is complete. I can live with disabling the auto updater to run scans but it kind of defeats the object if the application quits after updating. The problem is that the application won't relaunch automatically after it has been updated,  I have to relaunch it manually.

Any additionl thought gratefully received.

I must be getting confused by what you're calling the application here -- are you saying that the Sophos Anti-Virus.app UI for doing manual scans is quitting and not re-launching after an update, or that the SophosUI background application that sticks the shield icon in the menu bar isn't coming back after an update?

The Sophos Anti-Virus.app interface isn't supposed to be running most of the time on your system -- unless you're setting preferences, using the Quarantine Manager, or running a manual/on-demand scan, there's no reason for it to be open.  The main scanning done by Sophos is done via the on-access scanner that runs in the background and is managed via the shield icon in the menu bar -- and this should disappear and come back after an update.  If it's not coming back, it's time to check the logs and see what's going wrong: likely one of your preferences files is corrupt.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

Regular Visitor
timb0land

Thanks for your reply Andrew, although now I am completely confused. Are you saying that as long as the shield icon appears in the menu bar, the Sophos Anti-Virus.app is running correctly? It does appear in my menu bar but what happens is the shield icon in the dock closes after an update (so I assumed this signifyed the app had closed). This did not occur when my Mac was running Lion. It stayed active in the dock the whole time, hence my confusion...!

Employee
Agile

The blue Sophos icon in the dock is only for intentional on-demand scanning; it's generally best not to have this running in the background all the time, only when you need to actually do something within its interface.

The on-access scanner that runs in the background is running if the shield in the menu bar is black.

Interestingly, as of 10.7, and even more with 10.8, Apple has taken control of whether an application is actually "running" away from the end user; they  launch and tear down applications all the time, and don't necessarily indicate the current state in the dock.  The OS now manages all this stuff for you in most cases.  This, of course, makes questions like "is that app running correctly?" much harder to diagnose.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

Regular Visitor
timb0land

Thanks Andrew. This clears everything up. Much appreciated.

Gi
Occasional Visitor
Gi

Hello Andrew,

My shield icon on the top right corner has the arrow continuously moving, pointing down. I thought that meant it is updating. It has not stopped since it found a threat which I found and deleted on a manual scan. Now I don't have any other icon next to that shield, like the time, the search window, internet connection, etc. and when I open sophos it keeps calculating for the general scan. How do I stop it. I already tried preferences and unchecking the hour update, not luck though. Please advice.

Thank you,

Gi

Employee
Agile

I usually find restarting my computer is the safest bet in these situations.  Otherwise, you need to dig in and kill a number of running processes and make sure they all come back up in the right order.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs