Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Visitor
fallen1

Update not working

"Could not contact primary server" message received upon update attempts (both auto & manual) since computer start up 2 Dec 2010.

Auto update preferences panel, even upon unlocking, is grayed out on primary location, user name, password, & use secondary location (which I had left unchecked).

I have had this free Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac about a month.

Mac 10.4.11 on iMac

Thanks for any help.

fallen1

Occasional Advisor
fwdIT

Re: Update not working

I have the same problem on my desktop (with free version)
On my laptop it works just fine
Ive tried everything already... several times a complete delete including all traces of sophos (did a find as root for all files and folders with sophos in the name)

A network trace showed this:

GET /update/ccosx/server.inf HTTP/1.0
Host: es-web-4.sophos.com
Authorization: Basic < MY PW HASH HERE >
User-Agent:
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found
Server: Apache
Cache-Control: max-age=300
Expires: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:51:13 GMT
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:46:13 GMT
Content-Length: 15
Content-Type: application/octet-stream

File not found.

and

GET /update/ccosx/cidsync.upd HTTP/1.0
Host: es-web-4.sophos.com
Authorization: Basic < MY PW HASH HERE >
User-Agent:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Apache
ETag: "37a62c6da5547954c71066edad9ccce0:1291477896"
Last-Modified: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:50:30 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 67288
Cache-Control: max-age=300
Expires: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:51:13 GMT
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:46:13 GMT
Content-Type: application/octet-stream

{546D99E5-A8F5-49a5-BF8B-93A516F7FD83}...{b808c8ae-5620-4986-886c-f9c2714ff4fb}.T..)\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg\Contents.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg\Contents\Packages.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAUCLI7.2.0.pkg.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAUCLI7.2.0.pkg\Contents.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home Edition.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAU.mpkg\Contents\Packages\SophosAUCLI7.2.0.pkg\Contents\Resources.\Sophos Anti-Virus Home

So something seems to get downloaded but the update just doesn't seem to happen

Frequent Advisor
carlos

Hi,

the update works from system.

maybe you must uninstall sophos and reinstall them

Sophos

to uninstall open sophos remove

then restart your system

install sophos again

all the best :smileywink:

greets

Occasional Advisor
fwdIT

A reinstall... as mentioned above, I did that already several times, sadly without success
I must also say, the first time I had this problem wasnt with the latest client version. So I thought perhaps the newest version would solve this but also without success :smileysad:
When I remove the client I use the uninstaller and then search for left behind files so it is a thorough remove
Problem must be elsewhere so Im still puzzled what I can do to correct this and finally enjoy this nice app :smileyhappy:
Employee
Agile

Is there anything informative in your console logs? Syslog might be a good place to check.  Sounds to me like a permissions issue.  Are you installing from an account with administrator rights?

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Occasional Advisor
fwdIT

Nothing informative in the Console log I'm afraid. Just a line with "Could not contact primary server" and then a line with "Unspecified server error" for each update attempt
Haven't looked in the OS syslog yet, will have a look in there tomorrow when I'm back at my desktop
Also considered a permission issue but I don't know which folders it uses besides the folders created by the install. I have deleted those several times already for a reinstall so it can't be them
It is a fairly clean install of a month old or so and my user is an administrator indeed. The only big difference between my desktop and my laptop (on which it works) is that the desktop has an SSD and that on my desktop /private/tmp is in ramfs instead of on disk
Occasional Advisor
fwdIT

Nothing to find in any system logs :smileysad: Going to think what else I can test, if anyone has any other tips or clues, feel free to drop them here in this thread
Visitor
fallen1

A few days after posting the previous message, I removed the Sophos Anti-Virus from my computer. Then I downloaded the latest version. It worked for a month, then gave the same message for the autoupdate "could not contact primary server". Sigh.

Each time, the application has worked for a month. As far as I know, I am downloading the free version for the Mac. It says "Sophos Anti-Virus Version 7.2.2C   Threat detection engine: 3.14.1   Threat data: 4.60   Release date: December 6, 2010"

I am going to remove this again & re-install a new download. 

Any help would be appreciated.

fallen1

Mac 10.4.11 on iMac

Visitor
fallen1

Arrrgh!

Removed, then reinstalled. This time, the update is not working from the beginning.

Help! Help!

Perhaps I should just go back to my previous paid protection. :smileysad:

Thanks,

fallen1

Mac 10.4.11 on iMac

Occasional Visitor
swimrskic

I'm having the same issues. When I checked the ;og it's showing that it's working some of the time. I even tried connecting my laptop directly to my internet modem instead of via wifi and it still isn't working. I've only had this installed for a few days so we will see what happens. :smileysad: