bobcook

Version 8 Scan Local Drives slower than v7

Hi,

We are investigating slowness when scanning the /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder on 10.7.3. You'll hit this whenever you are scanning the entire disk. The scanning will eventually finish but takes a while to crawl through those revision fragments. As soon as it finishes those files it will pick up speed again. This doesn't appear to affect the overall performance of the system, but we'd be interested to know more about your experience.

We'll be looking to resolve this in 8.0.2.

----------
Bob Cook
Senior Development Manager
email: bob.cook@sophos.com
SOPHOS Security made simple
Occasional Advisor
davef

Re: Version 8 Scan Local Drives slower than v7

OK - thanks for update - if I un-install can you send me a link for v7 I can re-install till it's sorted - use my email if you prefer.

Occasional Advisor
davef

Just to update you, scan now running at a good speed, 30 minutes after first starting it off.

Advisor
TOKK777Anti

Hi "davef".  I have same issue.  I just install Ver 8 and it is soooooo slow.  I would like to have a link for Ver 7.  Thank you !

Advisor
TOKK777Anti

Hi 'Bobcook".  I sent a note to "davef" for asking the link for Sophos Home for Mac Ver 7, because I just installed Ver 8 and local scan will not completed it scan.  I ran over 5 hours.   Ver 7 could complete my local drive (about 300,000 files) about 20 minutes.   Would you please tell me where I can get a link for Ver 7.  I would like to go back old one.  Thank you.

Advisor
TOKK777Anti

Thank you Bob.  I reinstalled Ver 7.3 and it works GREAT !!

bobcook

Hi,

A simple workaround for the slower scanning is to set up an exclusion for the on-access scanner. Exclude the /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder at the root of your drive. Follow these steps:

1. Open Sophos Anti-Virus, Preferences, On-access Scanning

2. Change to the Excluded Items tab

3. Press the "+" symbol to add a new exclusion

4. In the Open dialog, press Cmd+Shift+. (apple shift period) to show hidden files

5. Select ".DocumentRevisions-V100" at the top of your drive

Note this is only necessary for 10.7 systems, as the problem only applies to 10.7 systems.

----------
Bob Cook
Senior Development Manager
email: bob.cook@sophos.com
SOPHOS Security made simple
Occasional Visitor
voles

Sophos 8.01c

I cannot find any *.DocumentRevision-Vt100 files.  I thought the scan was running exceeding slowly but what appears to happen on my Macbook Pro running 10.7 is that the scan completes (according to the log) but the graphic does not update.  So I can come back after a couple of hours and see the slider at the same point I left it, but when I look at the log it says 'successfully completed'.

Any fixes on the way?

Employee
Agile

Did you navigate to the base of your internal drive (where the Applications folder is located) and press command-shift-. ?  If you don't do this, you won't find the .DocumentRevision-V100 (no 't') folder.

If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can see it by going

ls -al /

I hope that helps.

And yes, there's a fix on the way.

-
Andrew
Threat Researcher
SophosLabs

For our other self-service and peer-to-peer online support systems:

Occasional Visitor
voles