04-24-2012 03:45 PM
Hello! I just updated to version 8.0.2C from version 7. I saw this on the info page:
"New Version 8 now available! Even more full-featured with scheduled scanning, Live Anti-Virus and a new look and feel. If you're an existing user, you don't need to do anything—you'll be updated automatically."
A few questions:
1. I am not finding any options for scheduled scanning. I've looked pretty hard for this. I have been assuming that this means I can schedule a Scan of Local Drives, such as "scan once a week on Saturday night" or "scan two hours from now"? Is this feature available, and if so, where might I find it?
2. A related question: if you have scanned your entire drive(s) and the on-access scanner is always on, is there any need for regular scanning of the local drive(s)?
3. In general, I am not really seeing any new features for version 8, just a bit of a new look. What am I missing?
And a note: I wasn't updated immediately from version 7 to version 8, as was suggested by the info above. I found out a new version was available completely by accident at the site and then download it myself. It would be a great feature to have some sort of notification system that a new version is available!
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-25-2012 03:43 AM
1. Open the Scans window (e.g. from the menu icon Open Sophos Anti-Virus ...), add a Custom Scan ([+] on the bottom left), the Scan Settings ... window for the new scan should open. Among the settings you can configure is Schedule. You must select one or more weekdays and one or more times (all times apply to each selected day). If you want different times on different days either create another scan or duplicate the scan and set the schedule accordingly.
2. If you have no exclusions for on-access a regular and frequent scheduled scan is IMO not necessary. A custom scan from time to time is nevertheless advisable (especially if you exclude certain locations from on-access scanning, turn off on-access scanning temporarily or lately got a significant number of alerts). Detections are constantly updated and there might be (additional) items found by a scheduled scan (although they items likely don't pose an immediate threat it's better to get rid of them).
3. Apart from the scheduled scans (which I hope you can find now) and the UI there have been a number of changes under the hood. Another "visible" addition is mentioned in the announcement: Live Protection (the on/off setting is in Preferences)
And note: You installation would have been upgraded automatically. Please see for example Version 8 Questions
04-25-2012 12:37 PM
QC, I can't thank you enough for what is truly the best response I have ever been given on a help forum - clear, accurate, concise, and kindly. (This will a model for my own responses in forums where I have some expertise!) The scheduled scans worked as explained, and your explanations for the other questions make perfect sense to me. I didn't really "get" live protection until I went to the link you provided. Again, my sincerest thanks.