Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Advisor
cj

Why is it free?

Obvious question.. but what are your reasons for offering this product for free?

mach1

Re: Why is it free?

Don't really know why too...  :smileysurprised:

maybe free for the first year only ?

and also:

will this free av will be able to protect against the latest mac threats ?

is this product also protects against phishing or web attacks??

Occasional Visitor
mccol

Hi

I'd like to install home edition, confident about mac but curious about av and sophos.

But I'd like to know before why this soft for free, and for how long ?

Employee
sunil

Hi mach1

You can read all about the sorts of threats that we protect in this naked security blog post.  The software will protect against the latest threats and by identifying malware delivered by email, over the web or via USB sticks it will help keep you safe from malware that will attempt to steal passwords and other data from you.

Regards

Sunil

Occasional Advisor
cj

Sunil - re your reply to Mach1.

Can you confirm that if I run this software on my Mac, that if I stick in a USB stick that has a virus on it (Mac specific or PC), that it will scan the USB stick and let me know there is a problem?

Thanks 

Employee
sunil

Hi cj

If you are running on-access scanning this will scan every file that you try to access, including USB sticks.  Also you can run an on-demand scan (one that you initiate) to include all attached drives or create a specific custom scan just for particular folders.

Regards

Sunil

Employee
sunil

[ Edited ]

Hi CJ

The reason for providing this for free is because we think Macs are beautiful machines and we want to keep them that way.  As Apple market share grows there is a growing concern that the number of malicious attacks against the Mac platform will increase.  Historically, Mac users are less likely to run anti-virus / anti-malware software making Mac users a soft target.  We want to help Mac users increase their security hence offering this software for free.

We know that Mac malware already exisits and these can attack Mac systems to steal data or compromise systems.  As the majority of malware still targets Windows, there is not the same range of high performance consumer anti-virus software available in the market.  Sophos provides high quality protection for businesses, and all business users are also consumers.  Therefore helping them to protect their Macs at home will also help protect their business machines.  We think offering free, industrial-strength protection to consumers will help them be ready for any future mac-specific cyber-attack.

This software is backed by the same high quality threat detection as our business-class software - so will detect, clean-up and quarantine to the same standards, it is not watered it down.  However this is restricted just for home use.

We have not set a time-limit on this software and our intention is to continue providing best protection updates to users on this software version.

Hope you take us up on the offer and install the software on your Mac.

Sunil

Occasional Advisor
cj

Sunil, thanks for your reply.

Yes, Mac's are great machines, but that doesn't mean a big company with no business interest starts creating a free 'industrial strength' product for users just because of their 'love for macs'. There's no profit behind it, hence no business sense ; )

So what you are saying, cutting out the above, is that your business model is to:

- Provide a free product to the home user... such that...

- Business users buy your product

Kind of a tool to grow market share?  Is that correct? 

VIP
QC

Hello cj,

Kind of a tool to grow market share

might be correct. Wonder what will happen if a significant percentage of Mac users jump at the offer. Even 1% will be quite a load on the existing updating infrastructure I think. Market share couldn't grow fast enough then. Sophos should better have an emergency plan at hand :smileywink:

Christian

Advisor
pixturesk

Sunil, by saying that you have not set a time limit on the Mac Free Home Edition, what does that mean exactly? Will it be free for one year, more or permanent? I have written about Sophos free in the Tiger discussion group on the Apple website, want to be able to tell the group about the length of free availability!!  I had previously been using ClamXav, the only other completely free AV for Mac 10.4 PPC + above. I note that Avast is thinking about offering its trial version Mac AV as free software in January 2011. I just began using Sophos yesterday, so far working perfectly, will report after more use. Thanks.